30 January 2011

Sophie's Peanut Butter Cookies

Here is another treat from my Great Grandma Sophie Pitura's recipe box. I knew I would love this old fashioned recipe as soon as I saw it called for vinegar. These are my favorite peanut butter cookies and must be eaten with a big glass of cold milk!

1/2 cup shortening (Crisco Gold)
1 cup peanut butter
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda

- Cream together shortening, peanut butter and brown sugar.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla. Then stir in vinegar.
- Mix in flour, salt and baking soda.
- Roll into 1 inch balls and place on baking sheets. Press down with fork to make crossed pattern.
- Bake @ 375° for 7-8 minutes, until edges turn brown.
- Make 36 cookies.


To take your taste buds for a walk down memory lane, click to see more Sophie's Recipes or visit my Prairie Story.

No comments: